Friday, February 06, 2009

It Was Only A Matter of Time...

My grandfather passed away last Friday in his sleep.

Unfortunately this means I have to go home to Chicago.

Not that I'm looking forward to it, unlike my grandmother, I was not really that close to my grandfather.

I'm going more for support for my mother who has now lost both of parents in less than a year. My mother wasn't really close to her father (my other grandfather who died 4 years ago primarily raised my aunts & uncle) but they were beginning to mend their relationship.

Apparently my grandfather, on top of being a heavy drinker, womanizer & gambler, sort of "forgot" about his children with my grandmother when he remarried & had other children.

I'm not close AT ALL with them, the few encounters we've had were not pretty affairs.

Nonetheless, it's another dark cloud in my family that I'll have to try to get through. I'm never thrilled to come to Chicago as it is anymore. I have VERY strained relationships with my aunts & uncles due to their behavior after my grandmother's death.

They know I don't fuck with them at all.

To make matters worse, my friend's fiancee was killed last week as well & his funeral is also Saturday. I can't imagine what's she going through.

Instead of laying around the house this weekend, I'll be rolling my eyes & checking my watch as someone fall out in the aisle, screaming & hollering before draping their body across the casket.

Let's not forget the grand finale of falling out at the burial. I dunno, it's been a lil cold in Chicago, that one might be delayed. No one wants to hit dirt & grass that feels like concrete. Maybe a fake fainting will satisfy their need for attention.

*sigh*

Pray for me yall...

2 comments:

Saule Wright said...

As usual Tenspot, I will be praying for you. You are a soldier and I will be sending you whatever strength I have as well so that you can be the rock for your mom and anyone else that may need you.

-sorry if this is a duplicate comment

Nexgrl said...

I will pray that both funerals go as smooth as can be expected. I will say two prayers for your patience with your extended family members.