Thursday, March 30, 2006

Black.White.



I've been trying to hold back my analysis of Black. White. until the show was over, but my impatient ways have gotten the best of me yet again.

What do you think of the show?

Personally, I think the show is…err…interesting. Not interesting in a bad way but one in an interesting way for lack of better words. I currently have a love/hate relationship with the show. While I can appreciate what Ice Cube is doing…Ummm yeah…I don’t think any show will catch the real race relations in America, raw and unedited, nor do I think Whites (whom I feel are the intended audience) will really “get” it. I like the concept though.

My likes:

1. I love how real both families are. I am really feeling the Black family- The Sparks (Renee, Brian, and Nick). Sometimes I think they are talking out the side of their asses but I really like the rawness of the Black family. The father and mother hold no punches (the son, Nick, on the other hand, is a different story…) and keep it real. I like the White family-The Wurgels (Bruno, Carmen, and Rose). I actually like how unapologetic the father is, but I do have my dislikes (his constant use of the word “nigger” really irks me. I feel my eye twitching every time he does it because I feel he does it purpose) with him. I like the mother and daughter’s earnest attempts at “fitting” in to the Black world. They’re a little dramatic at times but I like how, at least according to the editing, how they at least attempt to feel how it is to be Black in America.

2. I like the “walk throughs” as the opposite race. Even though it does seem a little phony at times (I mean are the cameras actually following them or are they using hidden cameras…I know a few scenes they do use a hidden camera and you catch the “essence” of being rejected for a job application and the way Whites follow you around the store-I am so glad Carmen and Rose peeped that as “Black Women”-but of course I wouldn’t be stupid enough, as a White person, to say “I hate niggers” knowing that it would probably end up on t.v.), there is a lot to be said. Black people are usually followed in stores. Black people do get shitty customer service. White people do tend to stare at you when you walk in an “All-White” establishment. And sometimes interracial couples do get dirty looks at “All-Black” events.

3. I like the cursing F/X allows. F/X allows a lot of damn cursing in their shows…I love it. I started watching The Shield after I was flipping channels and one of the characters said “sh*t”…Haven’t missed an episode yet. What’s the big deal with cursing anyway? There’s more cursing in pre-school than on t.v. I always find it funny how these so-called “parental advisory” groups are quick to jump over t.v., video games, and music videos when children nowadays pick up more f*cked up shit in school than on t.v. I know kids right now who can roll a blunt better than the best weed smoker. Age: 4. Where did they learn it? At home. But the little muthaf*cker can’t watch Grillz because it is “too sexual”. Go figure. Nothing catches the essence of a through chewing out by a Black mama and daddy with out all the blips and beeps. I love the charged conversations between the parents. I love the spoken word class Rose participates in. I loved the “edited” private conversations.

^^^The show is decent. If you’ve never seen it, it comes on the F/X channel at 10 pm Eastern time on Wednesdays. I think the reruns come on Thursdays or Fridays (I forget).

I think the concept works because there are folks out there like Bruno and Carmen. Those who are “blind” to the race problem and spit the same old “I treat others how I wanted to be treated therefore there is no racism because I treat everyone the same” crap but we all know that’s bull. While I have never been called a “nigger” to my face by someone other than a Black person, a lot of my family members have had that experience. They grew up in the dirty South where you were called a nigger so much some swore it was their name! My grandmother was called a “nigger” by a white woman before. Let’s just say that was the last time someone called my grandmother something than her birth name. My mother was called a “nigger” as a little girl. This was back when her neighborhood was a majority White, middle class neighborhood and my family were the first Blacks on the block <---Need I mention the immediate “White Flight” that occurred? Some little girl called my mother, The “King Kong Ain’t Got Sh*t On ME”, a “nigger”. Family story tells of the same little girl spitting up a tooth after the thorough ass whooping she got. Sure she was suspended for most of the year, but those Whites kids left my mama alone after that.

I’ve experienced little blatant racism thus far, but don’t think I haven’t gotten a lot of the subtle racism. Yes people, there is a difference. I ain’t never had to “Choke A Bitch” over disrespecting my color, but I have almost gotten locked up due to my constant back talking to the police. Fuck them anyway!

There are obvious flaws to Black. White. But I think the main problem, for me, is the “settings” that they prop them into. Bars, malls, walking down the street, fairs, etc. You experience racism here but there are other places to observe. Hell the train, the city bus, driving, restaurants…There are so many places other than the confined places that they use.

Here are several observations that I have peeped that contribute to the flaws:

1. The makeup. I hate it. No scratch that- I hate it on The Sparks. Brian looks like a damn predator (although he is a pretty Black man), Renee…Well she just look like a light skinned woman with a bad weave, and Nick looks…well like Michael Jackson. Only fruiter. I’m sorry but they are the ugliest White people ever! Any thought on how I would look White flew out the window. I think I would look like a hot sh*tty mess as a white woman. Probably like Liza Minnelli or something. Only younger.

The Wurgels, though, look nice as Black people. But did they really have to put Carmen and Bruno is the nappiest, tackiest wigs they could find? I don’t know too many Blacks who rock that nappy ass Afro look…And I live in DC where some folks like to pick a year and stick with it. Rose…Got Damn! She looks good as a Black girl. Hell, she could fool me- easily. The red lipstick has got to go through. I like Rose actually. She looks as if she could be a cool “White Girl Friend” that most Black girls pick up along the way. She is the most open minded of them all, I think. She does fall victim to the “WG Crying All The Time” sh*t that irks me. But as a Black girl…I’d hit it (And I am the Proud President of the “I Loves Me The Penis” Club). I remember the episode when she revealed herself to her spoken word class and they stopped by the next day *dead* at Black guy’s reaction when he saw her “White”. He damn near had a stroke…Hell all the Black people in her class damn near fell out.

2. Nick. Is it me or does it appear that Nick did not want to be on the show? Like his parents forced him on the show? He doesn’t have many scenes (some times I forget he’s on the show) and when he does, my back hand is itching to cross his face. He works my damn nerves! He doesn’t care about anything. He doesn’t do anything and his mouth is a little too fresh for my taste. Let that had been me talking to my parents the way he does sometimes. Let’s just say my mama would get booted from the show for beating the hell outta my ass on camera. You know damn well the White cameramen are not jumping in to break up sh*t! I’d have random bruises on my face, broken arms and legs, missing teeth…The works. In fact, they would have to edit me out the show because I would be looking so f*cked up. He is a little ignorant and I think he says what he says to get a response outta his parents. Like that “I care but I’m pissed at you so Ima say whatever to just piss you off” answers. I mean he bought a f*cking watch when he had one on at the mall?! A $150 one at that. My momma woulda slapped the sh*t outta me at the store just on GP (General Purpose). I try to like him because he’s young, but I can’t do it. I also think he’s a little wimpy. Mr “I get kicked out of school because I had a knife but technically it wasn’t mine, I was holding it down for my friend and took the wrap because I’m a G” ass. He would get that ass so beat at my high school. He just looks like a punk to me.

3. These “Black/White” classes. You know “teach the opposite race how to be the opposite race” class. Education in Blackness. Education in Whites. Blah Blah. I think this is the most racist part of the show! Come on, I’m going to teach you to talk “Black dialect”? WTF? Doesn’t this reinforce the notion that Whites talk “proper” while all Blacks speak “Ebonics”? Granted, they do make several good points, as how Blacks dialect changes when they are around other Blacks or with their family, but all Blacks does not do this. I don’t think there is a way to be “Black”. I think you’re born with it. That’s just me. You can’t teach someone to be a member of the “opposite” race. Sure you can assimilate but deep down you can not deny your heritage. You can not deny what’s part of you. You can’t give someone some inside information! All Blacks don’t “peep in the shower or the medicine cabinet…That’s just what Black people do”. I don’t! (Ok well I have been guilty of being all up in the medicine cabinet but you know Black folks don’t keep medicine in that cabinet)! While I kinda like the concept, I don’t really like it because I think it just reinforces negative stereotypes.

4. The wardrobe. Would it kill them to match? Why do the Wurgels go out looking homeless when they go out as Blacks? I mean they look homeless period but you know Black folks (with some exceptions of course) dressed to kill. We are some sharp looking people! WTF was up with the Kente cloth suits? Were they really going to wear that to church? A Black church? Rose dresses decent but she makes her back slide into “WG Color Coordination” at times. The Sparks look a little bogus but well they are in character *lol*

5. Bruno is a racist. Period. I feel sorry for racists. Jesus loves you. I’m waiting for Brian to hop over the table and beat the sh*t outta him. *dead* at Brian’s expressions some times when he looks at Bruno. Oh yes Brian...I peeps them. That is pure hatred in its rawest form. I don’t Bruno will learn and I don’t think he cares to learn. The “rap” video he made? He made himself look stupid as f*ck and White People you should disown his ass- quick! I don’t Bruno and I don’t like men like Bruno. As my grandmother says, “He has to meet his Maker someday and He sees everything”. I can at least give Rose and Carmen some props but Bruno irks me. Only thing I like is: At least he is honest. I would rather have a blatant racist than the subtle ones who are more likely to stab you in the back. I do think Bruno got a little too excited at seeing Carmen as a Black woman though. Hmmm…Maybe he was rejected as a Black girl as a teen or something. Maybe he has a color complex or something. Watch out Carmen…He might start bringing home some Cover Girl in “Mocha” for you to put on at night.

I can’t wait for the next season. What do you think?

No comments: